Toni Barios is a Partner at Cases & Lacambra in Spain. His practice is focused on Financial Services.
He advises financial institutions and companies in all sorts of financing and debt-restructuring transactions, bilateral and syndicated, national and cross-border, including structured finance, corporate and acquisition finance, project finance (real estate, energy, and infrastructures) and in the structuring and granting of guarantees. His practice includes advice to financial institutions, funds, and other non-traditional lenders in debt investment transactions, in secondary debt trading and NPL portfolios and direct lending investments.
He began his career in the corporate and real estate practice of Vialegis Asesores Legales y Tributarios. Before joining Cases & Lacambra, he developed his professional career as in-house counsel at the legal department of Caja de Ahorros y Pensiones de Barcelona (“la Caixa”) where he gathered extensive experience in Capital Markets (ECM y DCM), in both primary and secondary markets and in both own and third-party issues. Later on he joined the legal department of CaixaBank, S.A., managing the investment banking business legal division.
He has been personally involved in the negotiation of the main public and private financing and debt restructuring transactions of the last 10 years in Spain, and has extensive experience in all sorts of financings (corporate financings, acquisition finance, asset finance, leveraged financings, investment grade, and project finance in energy, infrastructure and real estate sectors both in Spain and abroad (United Kingdom, France, Germany, the Netherlands, United States, Mexico and Canada) and in the secondary debt trading.
Co-Director of the Course on Banking Contracts at the Barcelona Bar Association (ICAB), he is a regular speaker in different conferences, seminars, and forums of recognized prestige such as the International Bar Association (IBA) and the European Lawyers’ Union (UAE). He is the co-author of the book “Banking and Securities Law”, 2nd Edition (Editorial Colex, May 2012).
University of Barcelona
Management Development Program
UPF – Barcelona School of Management
Member of the Barcelona Bar Association
Member of the International Bar Association
- Financial Services.
- Real Estate and Construction.
- Sport & Entretainment.
- Technology & Innovation.
- Tourism and Hospitality.
- Newsletter: «Legislation and case law (October – January 2023)».
- The Firm collaborates with the Spanish chapter for GTDT – Loans & Secured Financing 2023.
- New collaboration with the Spanish chapter for Chambers Global Practice Guide – Real Estate 2022.
- Newsletter: «Legislation and case law».
- Newsletter: «Legislation and law case of Financial Services» (Abril – Mayo 2022).
- Chambers Global Practice Guide – Real Estate 2022. Spain.
- Newsletter: «Legislation and case law of Financial Services».
- Getting The Deal Through – Loans & Secured Financing 2022.
- Article: “La reestructuración de deuda en tiempos de pandemia y moratoria concursal”.
- Newsletter: «Código de Buenas Prácticas para el marco de renegociación para clientes con financiación avalada».
- Chambers Global Practice Guide – Real Estate 2021.
- ICLG: Alternative Investment Funds 2020. Spain
- Newsletter: «Confronting the economic impact of COVID-19 in Spain: the approval of the second trance of a line of public guarantees on loans».
- Newsletter: «Confronting the economic impact of COVID-19 in Spain: the approval of a line of public guarantees on loans».
- Legal Flash! «COVID-19: Update: The monitoring of the financial markets».
- Article: «The implications of the coronavirus COVID-19 in the financing agreements».
- Monographic: “La Legislación Post Lehman Brothers“.
- GTDT: Loans & Secured Financing 2020. Spain
- Article: “Hacia un préstamo consensual“.
- Article: “A step further on the enhanced protection of individual borrowers in Real Estate financings”.
- Article: “Potenciales limitaciones a la concesión de préstamos al sector privado: ¿intervencionismo excesivo?“.